A few weeks ago, I alluded to brunch being the easiest event to host, and received several requests for my “secrets.” So here they are – get ready to entertain stress-free:
- Keep it simple. It’s breakfast. No need to get all fancy (unless that’s how you roll). Simple dishes (even paper plates if that makes it doable for you) are fine. Clean as you cook so there is little mess for the aftermath.
- Keep it casual. Once again – it’s breakfast. Very few people are in the mood to get all dressed up for breakfast, so plan your event accordingly.
- Prepare the night before. This is really my biggest secret. There is NOTHING on my menu that I can’t at least prep the night before. That way I can enjoy the party too, and I don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to get everything ready. After all, a relaxed host will always improve the mood of a get-together.
- Keep it short. A few hours is plenty of time for brunch. Start at 9 or so and you can enjoy your time together and still allow everyone plenty of time to get on with their day.
Now you know some of the basics, so the next question is:
What do I serve?
The specifics vary each time I host a brunch, but here is the basic “formula” I like to follow:
- some type of egg or meat casserole
- a sweet bread (muffins, banana bread or coffee cake)
- fresh fruit (often a bowl of mixed berries or other fruits)
- coffee (make a big pot and put it in a warmer), have some flavored creamers and toppings on hand for fun
- depending upon the guests, I might serve a pitcher of bloody marys or mimosas
That’s it. You will have plenty of food, a nice variety, and all of it can be prepared ahead of time. The morning of your brunch simply pop the casserole in the oven, set out the bread and fruit, start the coffee and mix up the drinks.
Everyone will enjoy a nice meal and good times together before starting their day. Mission Accomplished!
How do you like to entertain? Do you have any “secrets” you can share with us to make it easier? Having friends and family over and serving them is a terrific way to build strong relationships and enjoy life at the same time!
Looking for ways to create everyday adventures for your family? Join my special newsletter group and get bi-monthly suggestions, ideas, and special offers.