And oh how we love it! There is nothing like fresh asparagus – and it’s so EASY to walk out there and cut some stalks to enjoy with dinner each night.
So what ARE the advantages of asparagus? Well, right now it’s SUPER inexpensive since it’s in season – I saw it at 88 cents a pound last week! Also . . .
Asparagus is full of fiber and vitamins. Vitamins such as A, B, C, E and K – in fact a cup of asparagus will give you enough Vitamin K to meet your daily requirements.
Asparagus also contains a few other unusual and beneficial nutrients:
- Chromium – chromium is a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport gluclose from the bloodstream into the cells
- Glutathione – this is a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and free radicals
- Inulin – this one is often called a “prebiotic”. It will bypass digestion in our small intestine and move directly to the large intestine and is a magnet for bacteria located in the large intestine so it helps support digestive health and better nutrient absorption
- Asparagine – this amino acid is a natural diuretic
- Folate – If you’ve ever been pregnant, I’m sure your doctor stressed the benefit of folate – it helps prevent birth defects and can be a hard nutrient to get enough of without supplements.
So just a few good reasons to enjoy asparagus frequently this spring while it’s in peak season!
Interested in growing your own? Here’s a post with some tips and tricks – we planted our patch a few years ago and have been grateful ever since!
And I can’t leave you without sharing my absolute favorite way to enjoy it: Delicious Roasted Asparagus
Ready to create a healthy life you love? Get started on YOUR healthy journey with a FREE one-on-one healthy life breakthrough session – contact me TODAY to learn more!