February is the perfect month to think about relationships. A healthy life includes solid and meaningful relationships, so it’s something we must focus on. Since the oil of the month is Joy, I’m going to concentrate on adding joy to our relationships. After all, who doesn’t want more of that?
Regardless of what relationship you are working on this month (significant other, children, friends, etc.), there are a few guidelines to follow to help you improve, enjoy and add joy to those relationships.
- Don’t fall into the comparison trap. This one can kill the joy in our relationships almost instantaneously. It’s important to remember that when we look at someone else’s relationship, we are only looking at it from the outside. We don’t know what really goes on behind closed doors, so it does us no good to compare ourselves to what we see as that isn’t the whole picture. Also, forget about comparing your relationships to those in books or movies. Those are imaginary. No relationship can compete with someone or something that isn’t real – don’t even try.
- Don’t wait for later, enjoy today. It’s common for us to think that things will get easier later – you know, when the kids are older, the schedule isn’t so busy, you lose ten pounds, whatever you are “waiting for.” The reality is that your life is happening right now. You aren’t even guaranteed that future whatever. So why are you waiting for something that may never come? Instead, make it a point to enjoy and grow the relationships with the people in your life NOW.
- Look at the positive. I’m sure everything isn’t perfect. After all, a relationship consists of two imperfect people. Instead of zeroing in on the negative aspects of the other person or the relationship, focus on the positive aspects.
- Have fun, be playful. Life can be serious, I get that. It’s important to respect that and take your relationships seriously too, but it’s also important to have fun. Isn’t much of the joy of life having fun and enjoying being with your friends and family? So plan fun times, play and enjoy life together.
- Be committed. Stay true to your relationships. Don’t share confidences with others outside the relationship. Be there when you are needed. Make time for your relationships.
Looking for some more ways to improve your relationships? Check out this post on creating family traditions and this one on building a strong relationship with your kids.
How do you bring joy to your relationships? Any tips that work well for you? I’d love to hear about them in the comments, so please share! We learn best from each other.
Need a quick start on making the most of every day? A way to jump in and start enjoying life while you are planning out your next year? Check out Make the Most of Every Day and start creating a life you love right away!!!
*this post contains affiliate links*