Are cranberries one of those things that are present on your Thanksgiving table yet no one eats them? Just there because it’s tradition and they add color? If they come from a can, I bet they are!
This year, try something new and make your own – they are healthy, delicious and SO EASY!!! You can even make them a day or two ahead of time and cross something off your list.
Fresh Thanksgiving Cranberries
1 bag cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 T honey or to taste (optional)
sprinkle cinnamon (optional)
Step one: Put the cranberries in a pot, zest the orange and add it plus the juice to the pot. Add honey and cinnamon if desired. If the orange isn’t very juicy you may want to add 1/4 cup water to keep things from burning.
Step two: Cook over medium high heat until the cranberries “burst.”
Step three: Cool and store in the fridge until serving time.
Easy isn’t it? Have some left after the big meal? Here are some ideas for how to use up the leftovers:
1. On a turkey sandwich – yum!!!
2. A few spoonfuls in your greek yogurt – gives it a nice, tangy and tart taste!
3. Add it to some muffin batter – or even when baking muffins fill your muffin tin half full, add a layer of cranberries and then top with more batter. Bake as usual.
4. Top vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt with leftover cranberries!
5. Serve big spoonfuls with any meal – always a delicious and unexpected side!
Want to learn how easy it is to prepare simple, healthy dishes that will help you achieve your goals? Check out my Menu Planning e-course and learn how easy it is to plan and prepare a healthy, delicious menu for your family every week!